Friday, June 29, 2012

Of Poofy Pants and Peanut Butter


So, as previously mentioned, I’ve had a bit of a tough week. I was so excited when I first got my internship assignment. It sounded exactly what I was looking for. An internship at a micro-finance NGO working on a new project? How much more perfect could it be?
It turns out a lot could be better. For instance, my director could have given me specific tasks to complete in my first week. Or I could be given something to accomplish in the three plus days before I can start working on the actual project she set to me today. I could be feeling like I am helping, rather than a child that needs to be sent off distracted so she won’t be in the way. So, this week I needed a little something extra to help me get through it.

Enter stage right, poofy pants and peanut butter. The dress code here is such that we are expected to be dressed modestly. Shoulders and thighs should be paid particular attention to and should never be left naked. So, we’ve all gone shopping quite a bit to try and find items that will allow us to blend in. The most fun of those items has been the pants. In a vast array of colors, bagginess, and patterns, harem pants are delightful. I could legitimately wear my college finals (okay, not just finals) uniform of pajama pants and t-shirts and be praised for embracing the culture of India.
As for the peanut butter, many of you know that of all cravings besides chocolate, I have intense cravings for crunchy peanut butter and bananas. The bananas here are so little and sweet, they just needed that little extra kick to be the perfect lunch.
So with my baggy harem pants allowing me to comfortably sit with my legs curled up or stretched out anyway I please and my tiny bananas and peanut butter lunches I’ve been slowly able to calm myself down. Next step, making the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment