Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bollywood Wednesdays


I’ve now been in India for a week and a half. Oddly enough it feels like at least two months. But, tonight I noticed an odd tradition forming. On my first Wednesday in Pune I went to a bollywood movie with Liz and Clara. Tonight, I went to another one with ten other Alliance students. Both films were in Hindi with no subtitles, and it cost us about $3.50 each to get in, with another $1.50 for the caramel popcorn that makes the experience almost too good to be real.
Although the first movie was an action spoof and the second was a typical chick flick with a bit of destiny crossing time boundaries thrown in, both nights were great in similar ways. Bollywood encompasses so many of the stereotypes about India that made me think I’d like it here. Its vibrant, filled with beautiful colors and great locations. The songs are spontaneous and radiant with choreographed moves that make me want to dance in the aisles. I can’t help but come out of a movie feeling happier and lighter.
And that’s good, because I really needed something to remind me of all the reasons I came here. I’ve been having a lot of doubts and rough days this past week. They mainly surround my internship (expect an explanation in a later post), and I feel so drained from worrying and trying to bully myself into doing something with logic that I come home exhausted and just do work until bed. But, I am here to take in India and try and make sense of my place here.
I wanted a great rainbow of colors, wonderful adventures, charming company, and lots of new acquaintances. In other words, I wanted to star in my own Bollywood movie. So that’s my new goal while I’m here, to end as many days as possible with the enthusiasm and happily ever after of a Bollywood film. And Bollywood Wednesdays are definitely here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment