Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Another Work Day, Another Awesome Commute


 My first non-orientation day at my internship was awesome. I sat in on a fascinating lecture, took oodles of pictures, got to meet some really interesting, insightful people, and learned the Russian word for traffic jam—пробка (probka).

I was at work from 8am to 4pm, meaning it has now been over seventeen hours since I woke up, but my day has left me exhilarated and eager to share my experiences and observations with all of you. Unfortunately, I’m not sure yet exactly how much I can share for now, so until I receive permission, you can look forward to playful behavioral observations, new friendships, and some heavy political questions.

So for today, I’ll take you along on my commute. It begins at six when I frantically scramble to silence my cell phone alarm before completely waking my roommate, Mary Jo. Then it’s a full two minutes of shivering in the shower, as none of the other students in my apartment block have used hot water, so it needs to warm up (both literally and figuratively). Then once I’m lobster red and somewhat awake, this morning with the aide of shampoo in my sleepy eyes, it’s out and into a quick make-up and hair session. Then a jump into my sweater and slack combo (yes, it’s at least business casual every day), a quick fumble in my room for everything—purse, badge, key, notebook, coat. Then out the door—oh! Forgot shoes, okay now out the door.
Clicking and clacking down N street to Wisconsin, I greet dog walkers and the occasional jogger alike while my velveteen wedges hit the bricks, sending echoes off of pastel-colored townhouses. Then onto the bus at Dumbarton and Wisconsin, for a ride to 7th and SW Jefferson, followed by a rushed walk along 7th over the National Mall to L’enfant to catch the shuttle.
“Good morning sir, good morning ma’am, how are you doing this morning? Yes, I wish it would clear up. Oh, we’re getting some snow tomorrow? Wow, better hope it doesn’t affect the inauguration. Mind if I sit here? Thank you.”
A bumpy ride down to the Potomac waterfront, and I have arrived. Through the scanner, “hello ma’am how are you doing today? Oh, I’m just fine, thank you for asking. Have a great day!” Then up to my office to learn what I’ll be doing on my first real day.

At four pm, it’s the reverse. A more subdued shuttle ride, then a relaxed stroll across the mall to catch my 36 bus. With no real rush, and protesting feet, sometimes even relaxed is too strong of a word to describe my molasses-like pace crossing the wide zebra-marked crosswalks of Constitution and Pennsylvania Avenues. But my lead-footed plod breeds remarkable prizes.
I look over the crowd control barriers in one direction and could see the Capitol, in the other the Washington Monument. To my left is the Smithsonian building, still beautiful even in the midst of construction and renovations. As I continue, I take a short detour through the Sculpture Garden, which has had its central fountain turned into an ice skating rink where children, and one very graceful man, were twirling, daring to skate backwards, and laughing in the cold air. A little bit further along, a beautiful view of the glass-fronted Newseum with its prominent inaugural-banners.  And then across from my bus stop, the imposing, statuesque National Archives, impressive despite the bleachers placed in front of its four statues marking the future, past, heritage, and guardianship.

This city is sometimes overly steeped in history, politics, and self-importance, pressing down the yoke of expectations, connections, and nepotism upon your shoulders. But it’s a certain type of wonderful to be able to take in global iconic sites during my daily commute. With such a connection to one of the hearts of today’s world, how could I help but to be rejuvenated, inspired, and empowered?



If it was hard to get the visual from my description, here are a few photos I took on my way home:
On my right, the Washington Monument
On my left, the Capitol
My favorite sculpture at the Sculpture Garden (lamp post not included)

The National Archives.



1 comment:

  1. Ugh today the metro was soooooo crammed!!! I was literally all up on people. My classmates and I bonded because we were so close. The worst part was there was no room yet people at every stop kept trying to get on. It was a wonderful nightmare.

    ReplyDelete